Sunday, April 4, 2010

In the beginning.....

In 1962 or 1963, when I was 9 or 10 years old, I received a Canadian Reliable Tammy doll as a Christmas present. She was given to me by my Auntie Ev and Uncle Treb. I used to pour through the little booklet hoping and wishing for some of the "store bought" outfits, but I believe I only ever got one of them - "Sweater Girl".

My Mom and I used to make her clothes. Mom had 3 Tammy patterns so Tammy got an extensive wardrobe consisting of dresses, pj's, skirts, pants, tops and even a beautiful black velvet skating outfit.

Over the years, clothing and accessories got lost or given away before each move when my military father got posted, until I had nothing left.

Therefore, in 2002, I was VERY surprised to find my original (naked) doll in a box in the basement. I really don't know how I managed to hang on to her.

So I thought I would do some research into this doll and I discovered a whole Tammy world out there. At first I was only going to buy her an outfit so she wouldn't be naked anymore, but 1 outfit became 2 and so on, and so on. Then I wanted to have her family and friend dolls..... Well, you can see where this is going.....YUP....I caught the collecting bug and in 2010 I have TWO Ikea glass-doored bookshelves FULL of Tammy dolls, clothing, accessories and toys.

And you know what? I'm LOVING IT! I have so much fun - it's like reliving your childhood plus having a treasure hunt.

So this blog is dedicated to Tammy - the Doll You Love to Dress.

I will be posting my Tammy items but this will take some time. I have to retake some photos (my original photos were lost in a computer crash.

But meanwhile, here is my original Tammy wearing an original outfit and shoes.


4 comments:

  1. She is really a gorgeous doll....probably a bit rare with that wild curly hairstyle....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first fashion doll (or any doll, as I didn't like baby dolls) was a Tammy. I also had a Pepper, and I can remember the outfits, the little coats and poufy dresses. I loved those two dolls and all their clothes. They had such wonderfully sweet, friendly faces. They seemed like friends.

    Interestingly, your Tammy with her ringlet hairstyle looks so especially familiar to me...I've seen a lot of Tammy dolls on the Internet, and of course they all have the same sort of wonderful face, but this particular Tammy makes me think my first one looked just like this, with all the little curls---same hair color too. It's kind of a weird little tingle it gives me, a tingle of recognition.

    My original doll is lost in the mists of time, and I haven't seen her since 1966, I don't think. I later had a Posin' Tammy (a gift when I had the flu; she sat on a swing and had auburn hair in a wavy sort of flip) too, and I remember how much I loved her as well, and I distinctly remember her look and Pizza Party and the ski outfits and so forth. But somehow I think, in looking at your Tammy, here, I am seeing the one (same model, styled by the same factory ladies in the same month or something) that I used to have! So thank you for putting her here for us to see!

    Just wondering...Do you think you set her hair that way, or do you think she came that way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done nothing with my Tammy's hair. It came that way - very curly. It's a bit of mess right now but I'm afraid to try and fix it in case I ruin her. I do know that a lot of the Reliable Tammy dolls (sold here in Canada) had very curly hair so perhaps it was a style that is unique to Reliable?

      Delete
  3. Hi This blog is lovely! Just came across it on the net.I have done the same and have just acquired a few dolls.Do you know anything about the numbers on the back.I have just bought one and it just has BS 12 on it and no additional number.Sorry to bother you but I thought you may know.I look forward to seeing your other photos. Thanks Jo

    ReplyDelete